Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm NOT a Mean Person

I woke up feelin' a little "blaster's remorse" over the discussion I had with the ADD lady about a job. Then I read the comments you all left. I'm glad some of you thought it was funny. I thought it was humorous too, when I wrote it. Actually, it still makes me giggle, but I realized that maybe I didn't need to take my frustrations out on this lady just because she doesn't like to listen when people are asking her for a job and can't afford her service.

Normally I'm just not that rude to people. So...while it is a great story, I don't want any of you to think I just walk around blasting people because I think it will make a funny blog post. Nor do I blast people because I am a mean person. In fact, I very rarely blast people at all. I just blasted her because I was feeling a little worried and she wouldn't listen. Have I established yet that my real problem with her was that she wouldn't listen? Anyway, I guess it's good that I didn't really lose control and drop the f-bomb and the b-bomb and whatever other bomb managed to reach my lips and form a word.

I also realize that this is not the normal approach one would take to find gainful employment. People tend to frown on being blasted by someone they would consider a potential employee. Blasting people is not usually listed in the job requirements or desired experience when applying for a position. Obviously, I need to show the next potential employer a whole different skill set. Like my ability to have 3 different conversations with 3 different people simultaneously and keep track of them all. Or my adeptness with Super Glue and broken toys. Or...I could take the opposite approach and find a job that required me to be rude and explosive over the phone, like say an IRS Call Center position or a collection agency. Maybe I could be a writer for Rosie O'Donnell and just sit around writing nasty things she can say to people in her rants.

Instead, I think I will focus on positive things and move on. I know it may be boring to do that, but I think eventually, this strategic move will pay off. I thought about calling the ADD lady and apologizing, but I don't think I can sit through another sales pitch right now.

2 Comments:

Patrixjasyu said...

Geri, you americans are too nice. You probably can remember how we, spaniards, blast each other all the time, everywhere, about everything and nothing happens.
Or maybe I don't quite understand what blasting is.haha;-)
C'mon, she was patronizing first, and selling after. No questions about your skills.
Asking for a job does not turn someone into a beggar that has to take up to wathever the probably-to-be-employer freaks out with.

I Am Boymom said...

Yes, I DO remember how Spaniards blast each other, then like 5 minutes later they're all okay with each other again! You are right, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered how she would be able to help my son. If she can't talk to me for 5 minutes without being patronizing and controlling, how is she going to listen to and work with an 8 year old kid who has attention issues?!?!

Post a Comment