Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Independence Day!


I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July celebration, this is one of my favorite holidays. There's so much to celebrate about living in America and I could get all fru-fru and emo right now, but I won't. I will simply say that I feel blessed and incredibly thankful for the freedoms we enjoy as citizens of this great country.

I am not ashamed to be an American. I am proud of my country and most of my countrymen. I love our unique culture and have no desire to become more like other countries. Our uniqueness is what makes us so great! How can people not see that? I do not think we do everything perfect, but we must be doing something right, because despite all of the negativity about the U.S. out there in the world, there are still millions of of people who are risking life and limb to come live here.

I am not naive about our country's problems. I stay informed and as politically active as I am able. I just don't think that the way to fix our country's problems is to become anti-American.

I want to thank all of the men and women who have fought and who continue to serve and fight to defend us and our way of life. You all have my family's heartfelt gratitude for your sacrifices and willingness to serve your country.

Now, everybody sing! "This land is your land, this land is my land, from California, to the New York Island..."

God Bless the USA!!

8 Comments:

Choppzs said...

Amen to everything you said!!

I love this country. I may not like some of the things going on, but it is a still a privilage to live in this great country, and I am thoroughly thankful to be an American!

Miss Hope said...

Being a military wife, I get to see some of the "not to pretty" parts of being an American. Funding for programs that are needed get cut to fund the war. Our quality of life suffers because every spare dime is going overseas. Yet, you can't help but bust buttons when you see our men and women in uniform...standing in formation. They are so proud to serve our country in whatever way they've been told.

Makes me very proud to be an American. I'm just the wife of a man who serves this country, but what a country it is!!!

Dawn said...

Amen to all that! We love our country and are trying to give that love to our boys as well. They can't wait to get to go to American, even though they really don't know what that means.

Stefany said...

Well said. I hope that you had a great day.

Autumn said...

Great post, Gerri! I agree 100%. We're so not perfect but we do have God's blessing. {I wish all of our inhabitants could see that.}

I was laughing as I read the bottom..."Now, everybody sing!" Because I say that same thing to my family as the firworks are going off! I like to embarass them. hehe

Kristi said...

Amen!! I love your background by the way. I went to that same website and tried to download, and it would just download funky letters and things, and not pull up the background. Did that happen to you? It is awesome!

Cynthia said...

Hey Geri, I wish this was an audio comment because then you could hear me singing "from the redwood forest . . . "
How are you doing? It's been a long time! It was fun to run across your blog.

I Am Boymom said...

Cindy - Doin' okay, I loved your posts about your vacation, I wish I were there with you!!

Kristi - It took a few tries, but I got it done. Keep trying.

Queenie - Emabarrasing the kids - high on my list of patriotic and motherly duties!

Hope - I can only imagine how tough it is for military families...when a family member makes the choice to serve, his/her entire family makes sacrifices. I appreciate that it may be hard sometimes to deal with government decisions that you don't necessarily agree with. Which makes the sacrifice you Military families make even more honorable...you do it regardless of whether or not you agree with the mission, because it's what your loved one said they would do. I admire and thank you all.

Pickles - it was a nice day...very relaxed. Thanks!

Dawn - When my husband and I got involved in our local political scene, we realized how important it is for our kids to have a love of their country in order for them to care about how it is governed. It suddenly became a priority for us to help them realize that part of being an adult is being a great citizen and taking our stewardship as citizens of a free country seriously, so we don't lose the freedom so many have fought so hard to win. Sorry, Drop a quarter in the cup and I'll shut up.

Choppz - Amen, Sister!!

Post a Comment