Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

National Mom's Nite Out


Did you do anything for National Mom's Nite Out on May 7th? I learned how to preserve meats and fruits through home canning! I know...sounds kind of boring, but actually it was really fun and helpful! We learned how to do several kinds of meat. Hamburger looked gross, but actually tasted pretty decent. Pork and Beef were okay, but I prefer the canned chicken. It is really good for casseroles and chicken tacos and it was incredibly easy to do. I love just opening a jar and having already cooked chicken, it saves me lots of time in the kitchen.

I can save a ton of money by buying the chicken when it's on sale and by canning it, it will stay preserved on the pantry shelf for a few years. No having to worry about my bags of frozen chicken breasts going bad if the electricity goes out for any length of time. Now I just have to scrape up the money to get a really cool pressure cooker to do the job. Which kind of takes away from the money I save canning, but eventually I will end up saving money...right?

I want to give a shout out and special thanks to Mom Select and Maria Bailey for organizing a nationwide Mom's Nite Out. Heaven knows we moms need a break once in awhile and this was the perfect way to take a night off and enjoy some time with other hardworking moms. Another shout out and thank you to Unilever and Ragu! Ragu was nice enough to send some sauce and noodles for Dad, so he could fix dinner for himself and the kids while I took my Nite Out. I am still in shock at the mess that 2 jars of sauce and pasta can make when put into the hands of a cooking novice. I should have taken pictures...it was seriously unbelievable.
This isn't my picture, I borrowed it from Tinka at RV There Yet. My mess wasn't that big. But it felt that big while I was cleaning it up.

Unilever sent some dinner fare also, along with some coupons that have helped my lower my grocery bill immensely! Thanks to these great companies for supporting a great event!
Can't wait 'til next year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment