Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Am Suffering from Technology Burnout!

It has been awhile since I posted. Almost a whole week. I am suffereing from severe computer/internet burnout. I used to wake up, take the kids to school, come home and immediately boot up the computer to check emails and start paying bills, writing blogposts, researching... whatever it was that needed to be done via the internet and my computer. One day a few weeks ago I realized I had no desire to get on the computer that morning. I KNOW! SCARY!!!

But I forced myself to do it. Then I had an even scarier revelation...I did not enjoy my time that day on the comuter. It felt like work. I have NEVER felt like writing my blog or checking my emails was work. EVER.

When it happened again the next day, and the day after that, I realized that I am in a bad place, technologically and mentally speaking. Or rather, typing. Because really, that's the problem isn't it? Sometimes we just need to talk. Typing and texting is great and has it's place, but speaking is just as important to our emotional well-being. I am tired of typing and reading. I want to speak and listen and if I'm going to read? I want to feel the pages as I turn them and smell the ink and mess up the stupid book jacket thing while I try to figure out what to do with it while I'm reading my book!

So I've been absent the last few days. And I might be absent here for a few more days. I've typed so much in the last six months that I have worn some of the letters off of my husband's laptop keyboard. He doesn't know how to type, so it's messing him up. "Where the freak is the N on this thing?" And why are there 2 C's on my keyboard!?" (There aren't 2 C's - one of the C's is a partially rubbed off O). See? My computer/internet obsession is even taking it's toll on the rest of my family. Laundry piling up, dinner getting later and later every night...you know the drill, right?

So I'm doing my own intervention. I need to get my head straight. I need to feel human again, and not robotic or computerized. I need to get back in touch with my family. Maybe reconnect with my kids. Even if it means my Facebook Farm Town goes unharvested. Yeah...it's that serious, folks.

2 Comments:

Banner said...

Reminds me of when a horse would get out of it's stall and we would all laugh at how the other horses still stuck in their stalls were bucking and kicking the walls as if to say: "Run Geri,RUN!!! Don't get stuck in the stall like the rest of us. Just keep running!!!!' Then about a half hour later somebody would come back with the loose horse now captured and.............put him back in his stall. Bummer. But at least it had food and water in it!!!!!!!!!

Taryn said...

Leave your FARM UNHARVESTED!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!! Wait I have done that. I think I liked the fact that my computer crashed for a whole week and I really didn't even stress about not being able to have it. It was GREAT!!!! Well now that I have it back up I am reading and typing again.

My husband doesn't even try to type on my computer anymore because there are really no letters left.

Take a vacation with no cell phones and no computers just a bunch of games. It is fun, until you get home and have 300 unread emails, 40 farm requests and 50 other facebook requests.

Come on over we will have tea and BS about nothing :-)

Post a Comment