Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

BioGaia Probiotics Review

I think I have mentioned before on this blog that sometimes I have "gut" issues.  And I can tell you there is nothing worse than having a "gut attack" when you aren't expecting one. Little Man has gut issues too.  He was pretty colicky as an infant and continues to struggle with tummy stuff even now, 8 years later.  It sucks when your 8 year old is struggling with stomach issues, because they don't always have the foresight to say something to someone until it's too late.  We like to seek out natural ways to deal with these issues, so I jumped at the chance to try some probiotics by BioGaia when they were offered. 
 
When we received the package two weeks ago, I noticed that BioGaia products come in various forms, which I really appreciate, 'cause you know - what works for one kid doesn't necessarily work for another.  Their product line includes dropschewable tablets and even straws that allow you to mix the probiotic with a beverage.  The products are completely safe and effective for both children and adults.  The drops and straws are great for infants and small children who may not be ready to chew a tablet.  I do have to say though, the glass bottle that the drops come in was kind of irritating to use at first, because you kind of have to shake it to get the drops to come out  since you can't squeeze it, making it difficult to get 5 drops until you kind of get the hang of it.  The tablets are easy to chew though and kinda tasty (lemony!). 

We went to work immediately at getting it into our systems.  Yes, I said we, because I'm getting in on this probiotic action myself.  I quickly commandeered the tablets, while Little Man works on the drops.  I was especially concerned about Little Man's system since he has had 3 courses of antibiotics in the last 4 months!  I know that antibiotics kill ALL of the bacteria in our guts, both good and bad, so I wanted to get something that would start replenishing the good flora that his body needs to digest and function properly.   
 
BioGaia probiotics products contain Lactobacillus reuteri (L. reuteri), which help the gut flora perform a number of useful functions in the body, such as: 
  • Influence the development and function of the gut
  • Assist in digestion and absorption of nutrients
  • Synthesize vitamins
  • Assist in the absorption of minerals
  • Break down dietary carcinogens
  • Influence the development and function of the immune system
  • Form a natural defense barrier against bacteria, toxins and antigens
  • Protect the body against infection
So...how do BioGaia products perform?  Well, I am happy to say that over the last 2 weeks my "attacks have subsided substantially.  I will continue to use the tablets until they are gone because I am noticing a big difference with my tummy issues.  Little Man was doing great until Easter and I think he OD'd on candy, so we may have to up his drops going into the new week, but overall, his gut health has improved.  One way I can definitely measure the improvement for him is by the lack of gaseous matters that normally escape his little booty! DANG!  The dude can choke a full grown man with his toots! (He'll hate me when he's older for being so open about his little issues!)

ANYWAY...back to BioGaia.  Seriously?  It's easy to administer, it's all natural, it tastes pleasant and it works. Here's a link where you can find out more about BioGaia's product line.  Check it out.  You'll thank me (and BioGaia) when your normally cute infant no longer has colick attacks in the middle of the night.  Or when you no longer have to smell little boy booty air during a long car drive in the Arizona heat with all the windows rolled up.  Or when you no longer have to hold your hiney while screaming at your spouse to pull over, pull over! PULL OVER NOW!  Would I steer you wrong?  Not in this area, 'cause I know all about gut issues.  Have ya read my blog?!?

1 Comments:

savvygreenmom said...

What a cute post! You're hilarious :) I know what you mean though - our little guy has some tummy issues but mostly his issues were with food intolerance/allergies and Eczema. He began taking Belly Boost for kids which is a chewable that he loves, and my husband and I noticed within the first week or so what a difference it was making for him! We could not be happier!! Did you this month is IBS awareness? You oughta check out Vidazorb (who makes Belly Boost). Maybe this would work the best!

Post a Comment