As broke as we are this year, I am really, really ready for the holidays. Not with gifts and all that stuff, I haven't done anything yet and may not be able to do much at all for people in that respect. But mentally? Emotionally? I want to feel Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I want to enjoy the chill in the air (even if it's only for a few hours in the morning or evening...it only gets so cold in the desert folks). I wan to sing the songs and decorate and think about all the Christmases past and I really, really want to create memories for my family this year as we decorate and play and sing and laugh and talk about why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. It's a lofty goal, given my chaotic state as of late, our house runs more like Ralphie's house from A Christmas Story...Fah Rah Rah Rah Rah, Rah Rah Rah Rah.
To help me with my Christmas Mood? TodaysMama and Provo Craft are giving away a sleighful of gifts this holiday season and to enter I’m sharing this meme with you:
1. What 5 items are on your holiday wish list this year?
- A writing job
- A sponsorship to Blissdom
- New sneakers
- Some new clothes
- Lots of work for my husband's business!
2. What is your favorite handmade gift you have received?
- Some fabulous ornaments
3. What handmade gift have you always wanted to tackle?
- My MIL crochets these amazing blankets, I'd love to do one sometime
- Some really cool personalized scrapbooks.
4. What was the best Christmas gift you received as a child?
- A Chrissy Doll with the hair that grows when you push her belly button. I still have her.
5. What items are on your kid’s wish list this year?
- Nintendo Wii
- Rock Polisher
- Anything Star Wars
- Anything Military
6. What is your favorite holiday food?
- Pumpkin Pie with Homemade whipped cream
- Fudge (technically not food, but sooo yummy!)
7. What will you be hand-crafting for the holidays?
- Candy and baked goods
8. What is your favorite holiday movie? So many, not sure I can pick just one!
- Comedy - Elf, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story.
- Romantic - White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street
- Religious - Mr. Kruger's Christmas, The 4th Wise Man, The Nativity Story
- Classics - A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life
- Cartoons - A Charlie Brown Christmas
9. Favorite holiday song? Again...so many!
- Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant. I found out I was pregnant with Big Brother about a week before Christmas 11 years ago and heard this song a few days later. I sobbed for days thinking about it. I still cry everytime I hear it.
- Were You There On That Christmas Night?
- Angels We Have Heard On High
10. Favorite holiday pastime?
- Going to see the snow,
- Hanging out with family watching movies and drinking hot cocoa!
It all sounds so fun and so yummy I am totally ready to start right now. Okay, not right right now, cause I have to clean the kitchen first and do some laundry and go to parent teacher conferences tomorrow and then I have to send out about 8000 resumes and look for work. Which does not feel Christmas - y at all, so maybe I'll start getting festive this weekend. Wish me luck!